Email – latest technology & more space!
Just like everything else related to technology, email technology and the way we use it has changed in the last ten years. Once upon a time there was only an email protocol called “POP”, which downloaded all your emails onto your computer or device, which was great, server space was limited and this kept your mailbox relatively clear. Emails were only a few kb, so even a mailbox size of 25meg would last you ages.
Oh how times have changed! Now we zap photos around like they’re stamps (stamps, what are they?). We regularly attach either photos or PDFs to our emails, making them anywhere from a few meg to more than 10meg in a single email. You don’t have to be great at maths to realise the old 25meg mailbox just isn’t cutting it any more!
Along with the massive amount of data storage we now require as “essential”, there is also a newer email protocol called “IMAP”. This allows emails to be kept on the email server, and various functionalities like you can see when an email has been read or replied to (handy for people who all receive emails to the same account eg info@). While this sounds great, it uses a LOT more storage because nothing is downloaded to your computer it is all stored on the email server (including sent items).
The benefit of using IMAP is that it is easy to change devices because emails aren’t left behind on the old device, they are in the cloud.
I am encouraging all of my clients to move away from email hosted on the web server to a cloud based solution which allows lots more storage per email account, and more sophisticated spam control. As this is an IT service, it is not something I manage myself, but I do work alongside a colleague who will handle the migration for you and set you up with something that suits the size of your business. Prices start from around $8 per email account per month. Contact me if you are interested.
Latest News / Blog
- Things to consider before updating your site to Joomla 4
- Why do hackers bother hacking websites?
- How to grow your social media engagement
- Wordpress 5.5 - auto updates
- My Watchful Podcast
- Safety and Security While Video Conferencing with Zoom
- Increasing the exposure of your business
- Keyboard issue: Single quote being replaced by Accent character
- Telemarketers trying to sell you a keyword-rich domain name
- Email – latest technology & more space!
- Outlook 2018, where have the Advanced Settings gone?
- Tools to resize and optimise images for your website
- Stolen Domain Names
- How to 'Like' a Facebook page as your business
- Create a link for customers to write reviews
- Latest round of QLD Digital Grants opens soon
- Proximity to Searcher is the New #1 Local Search Ranking Factor
- The Importance of Keeping Software Up To Date
- Joomla 3.7 Coming Soon
- Mobile-first Indexing
- Run out of ideas for social media posts?
- Scammers - they are still at it!!
- Are you struggling to create interesting content for your website?
- How to Write Viral Headlines: New BuzzSumo Research
- Google to Boost mobile-friendly algorithim this May
- Claiming for personal vehicle usage for tax year 2015 onwards
- Get on Google 'My Business'
- Google Analytics Report - What is "beat with a shovel the weak google spots" keyword?
- What is NAP Consistency? And why is it good for SEO?
- More .au options for all Australians or not – the pointy end of the naming panel process
- How to Know When Your Startup or Business is Ready for Facebook Ads
- Why are there spikes visits on my Google Analytics report?
- Generate more traffic with good quality blog content
- How to provide a direct link to your Google+ review box
- Content Quality Score: Google’s Best Kept Secret For Rankings
- Marketing your website content across the digital market
- Are you resisting Google+ ?
- How Google Search Works
- Facebook site ownership when buying a business
- Using Pinterest for your Business
- Can I rely on my Registered Business Name alone to register a com.au or net.au domain name?
- How to create a business listing on Google Maps
- What format of logo should you use in Word?
- What is Google Pagerank?
- Google Analytics keywords report says "not provided"
- 5 Tricks to Improve Your Google Maps Listing & Ranking
- SEO backlinks for your website
- Internet keyword scam
- Google Maps
- SEO basics for your website